Sunday, January 22, 2012

John's Red Bean's and Rice

Southern Living Jan 2012 page 98

Since I cooked a pork shoulder yesterday, I had a left over pork bone (I forgot to save the fat part). I decided to make John's Red Beans and Rice and substitute a ham hock with a pork shoulder bone. Also, instead of using a dutch oven for the last 2 hours of simmering, I used the crock pot so I wouldn't have to use so much gas on my stove. Also I didn't think my dutch oven was big enough for the 96 oz of chicken broth along with the other ingredients. This makes 12 servings so I will be freezing some for future weeknight meals.

Cooking this smelled so good. It filled the house with the best aroma. Like John Harris of Lilette Restaurant in New Orleans, LA quoted in the magazine, "I really like to invest the time to let the flavors develop. That's comfort." I couldn't have said it any better myself.

All this southern cooking is making me want to take a trip. Southern Living Jan 2012 page 30 lists a Mississippi Literary Trail trip. It outlines places from Jackson to Clarksdale to Oxford. I have a Page Aunt living down on the gulf coast in Mississippi and I promised her I would visit her sometime in 2012. Might be my spring break trip :-) The old houses, gardens, and food are what I want to experience on my Mississippi adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment